Extra Food Stamps are Ending

Obtenga más información en Español 

What are the Food Stamp Emergency Allotments? 

Since March 2020, households received an extra $95 or more in Food Stamp benefits per month. These temporary pandemic related increases were authorized by Congress to help meet food needs. Due to recent action by the federal government, these extra payments are ending. February will be the last month households will receive this extra payment.  

What should I do? 

Review your current Food Stamp Benefit amount:

You can check your FNS/emergency allotment balance and transaction history three ways:  

  • Visit website www.ebtedge.com. Click on Cardholder Login, create an account, and add your EBT card number. 
  • Download and use the EBT Edge mobile app (can be downloaded on Google Play or Apple Store).  
  • Contact the North Carolina EBT Call Center at 1-888-622-7328 

Regular monthly FNS benefits are issued between the 3rd and 21st of every month. Emergency allotments are issued on or after the 22nd of the month. Starting in March, you will only receive this first payment.  

Compare your information:

If you are not already receiving the maximum monthly benefit for your household, you may be able to increase your benefits amount by updating your information.  

Household SizeMaximum Monthly Benefit
Each additional person+$211

Report changes that may help you increase your benefits:

  • INCOME: Did you lose work hours or have your pay cut?
  • SHELTER: Did your rent, mortgage, or property taxes increase?
  • DEPENDENT CARE: Are you paying more for child care or care of a disabled adult?
  • MEDICAL EXPENSES: Does anyone in your household who is 60 or older or has a disability have medical costs over $35/month? This includes the cost of medical services, medical supplies, health insurance premiums, copays, prescription and over-the-counter medications, and more.
  • CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS: Are you legally obligated to pay child support?
  • YOUR ADDRESS: This will not impact your benefit level, but you may miss important updates if DSS does not have your current address.

Contact your local DSS to report changes and/or find out if your expense qualifies as a deduction:

Contact your DSS caseworker (if you have one), go to the DSS office in person, or call their customer service number. You can also appeal if you believe your regular, monthly benefits were improperly calculated. 

Local DSS Offices:

  • Mecklenburg County
    • 704-336-3000
    • Wallace H. Kuralt Centre, 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, NC 28211
    • Community Resource Center, 3205 Freedom Drive, Charlotte, NC 28208
  • Union County
    • 704-296-4300
    • 2330 Concord Avenue Monroe, NC 28110
  • Cabarrus County
    • 704-920-1400
    • 1303 S. Cannon Blvd. Kannapolis, NC 28083

If something goes wrong, contact an advocate: 

If you have taken the above steps and still think something is wrong with your food stamps case, contact a legal advocate for assistance. 

Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy
(Mecklenburg County)
704-376-1600 | Linea de Español 800-247-1931

Legal Aid of North Carolina
(statewide except for counties served by Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy and Pisgah Legal Services)
866-219-LANC (5262) | legalaidnc.org

Pisgah Legal Services
(Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, McDowell, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania, and Yancey counties, Qualla Boundary)
800-489-6144 | pisgahlegal.org

What other food resources are available?  

  • WIC: If you have a child under 5 and/or pregnant or breastfeeding, you may be eligible for WIC. Learn more about WIC and complete a WIC referral online at https://www.ncdhhs.gov/ncwicreferral.  
  • 211: Visit www.nc211.org or dial 211 to be connected to community food resources. 
  • NC Care 360: Request help or find resources by clicking the “For Individuals” tab on https://nccare360.org/