The healthcare Navigators at Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy provide free advice to residents of Mecklenburg County, helping families and individuals choose healthcare plans within the health insurance marketplace implemented under the Affordable Care Act (ACA.) Our federally certified Navigators are extensively trained in the insurance plan options offered by the marketplace, in addition to cost-sharing reductions and premium tax credits eligibility that will help individuals and families better afford their health insurance.
Volunteers can train to become Navigators too!
If you are passionate about helping people get access to healthcare, you can complete the Navigator training and start taking appointments during Open Enrollment. During appointments, you will speak with our clients, get to know their individual needs, and help them assess what health insurance options they have available to them.
Note: you do NOT need to be an attorney to volunteer!
What is involved:
- Complete the federal navigator training online at your own speed anytime in the months of September or October (this can take up to twelve of time, which can be broken up).
- Shadow a navigator appointment or attend a follow up training provided by Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy.
- Start taking appointments!
- Appointments last approximately one hour each in person or over the phone
- You can take appointments at our open enrollment events or on your own time
- You can sign up for as many or as few appointments as you like during Open Enrollment (Nov. 1 – Jan. 15)
Unable to commit to the training? Volunteers can also assist with callbacks!
Your invaluable assistance will ensure that individuals and families in our community have access to the healthcare they need.
What is involved:
- Volunteer to make 25 phone calls at a time.
- Set up a Google Voice number to make the calls.
- Using a script provided by our Navigator program, walk clients through making. appointments during open enrollment.
- Assist clients with making online appointments with our Navigators.