What NOT to do when filing your taxes

Filing taxes can be an overwhelming task, often because taxpayers are afraid of making mistakes. And there’s a good reason for some to feel that way: seemingly small mistakes made when filing your taxes can result in a major issue with the IRS down the road.

Learn what you need to do to file properly, protect yourself and ensure you have met all your obligations as a taxpayer.

What NOT to do when filing taxes:

  1. DO NOT forget to request and keep a copy of your filed tax return.
  2. DO NOT claim education credits on your tax return if you or one your dependents did not attend college.
  3. DO NOT file as “Married Filing Jointly,” if you and your partner are not married to each other.
  4. DO NOT file as “Head of Household,” if you are married and your spouse lived with you at the end of 2019, even if one spouse has a Social Security Number and the other has an ITIN.
  5. If you are self-employed, DO NOT forget to keep proof of your business income and business expenses, such as receipts.

Get free assistance preparing your taxes

Taxpayers who made less than $56,000 in 2019 can get FREE tax preparation services at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites throughout tax season. Find one near you today!

Workers with ITINs: Have you renewed your number with the IRS?

What is an ITIN? ITINs, Individual Tax Identification Numbers is a processing number the IRS issues to people who do not have a social security number but are required to have an identification number for tax purposes. ITINs do not serve any purpose other than federal tax reporting.

The IRS sends notices to taxpayers with ITINs informing them of when to renew their ITIN. If you received a letter to renew your ITIN, but you did not, then it has expired and needs renewal.

If you have filed taxes with an expired ITIN, refunds from tax credits and dependent exemptions will be held until you renew your ITIN.

The ITIN renewal process is the same as the application for a new ITIN. You must complete IRS Form W-7 and check “Renew Existing ITIN” at the top of the form.  You are still required to submit identifying documents.

Some local IRS offices can verify identification documents you need to renew your ITIN.

The Taxpayer Assistance Center in Charlotte and in other North Carolina cities can verify documents, but you will need to make an appointment in advance. The schedule an appointment at the closest office near you that can verify your information contact 844-545-5640.

Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy can assist taxpayers that need to renew their ITIN but does not verify or certify identification documents to submit with the W-7.

Learn more about ITIN Renewal.

Check out our other Tax Season Resources:

What to remember this Tax Season

Protect yourself from scams this Tax Season