Each year we prioritize the advocacy strategies we will take as an organization to promote equity in and improve access to financial security, healthcare, housing, and opportunity.
We believe our community deserves:
- A legal system that is fair with representation accessible to all, regardless of race, ethnicity, language, or immigration status.
- Access to quality healthcare for children, families, seniors, people living with disabilities, and veterans through Medicaid coverage, federally subsidized healthcare, or private health insurance.
- Affordable and adequate housing to ensure all people in low-income communities are safely housed and able to preserve generational wealth.
- A champion for immigrants that will expand legal services to protect unrepresented respondents, ensure the availability of asylum relief, and protect vulnerable unaccompanied minors.
- Economic opportunity for individuals impacted by the collateral consequences of the criminal justice system, immigration status, or low-income by promoting fair employment and preserving income.
- Financial security and family stability through access to federal and state assistance and changes to laws and public programs to aid low-income individuals.
- Food security by increasing access to food, a healthful diet, and nutrition education and addressing systemic issues that impede the use and benefit of those services.
- Racial equity by focusing on communities of color disproportionately impacted by systemic racism in consumer matters, healthcare, access to public benefits, and our civil legal system.
- Empowerment through education and outreach efforts that prioritize community-identified civil legal needs.
View our detailed list of Advocacy Priorities for 2023: