Each year we prioritize the advocacy strategies we will take as an organization to promote equity in and improve access to financial security, healthcare, housing, and opportunity.
We believe our community deserves:
- A legal system that is fair with representation accessible to all, regardless of race, ethnicity, language, or immigration status.
- Financial security and family stability through access to federal and state assistance and changes to laws and public programs to aid low-income individuals.
- Economic opportunity for individuals impacted by the collateral consequences of the criminal justice system, immigration status, or low-income by promoting fair employment, preserving income, and providing protection from financial exploitation.
- Racial equity by focusing on communities of color disproportionately impacted by systemic racism in consumer matters, healthcare, access to public benefits, and our civil legal system.
- Protection for immigrants by expanding legal services available to immigrants and addressing the abuses in the Charlotte Immigration Court and ICE monitoring programs.
- Affordable and adequate housing to ensure all people in low-income communities are safely housed and able to preserve generational wealth.
- Access to quality healthcare for children, families, seniors, people living with disabilities, and veterans through Medicaid coverage, federally subsidized healthcare, or private health insurance.
- Food security by increasing access to food, a healthful diet and nutrition education and addressing systemic issues that impede the use and benefit of those services
View our detailed list of Advocacy Priorities for 2022: